I have been given a new unit, for my BA (Hons) degree in Moving Media and Photography. The unit allows me to research and indulge further into a topic I have studied before. The Module unit is titled ‘The Artist Book’. Within this unit I have to undergo research into the depths of the artist book, its purpose, its meaning and its history. Although I have studied this prior to me undertaking this new unit, I will now delve deeper into the artist book to influence my own practice in aim of creating my own.
So what do I know about the artist book?
- It is a unique piece, a one off.
- The book itself does not have to be a traditional book although it does have to resemble a book like object.
- The book could be a scrollt, a pop up book or loose bits of paper in bonded material.
- It is created by the artist or photographer themselves.
- The books contents are not restricted in any way. Any content the artist wishes to use is not out of bounds. Although the book is sometimes a symbolic piece to represent the work in a curtain way.
- The Role of an Artists book is dependent on the Artist themselves, the content could be personal, religious, political or cultural.
What I aim to learn about The Artists Book.
- Over all what is ‘The Artists Book’?
- What is The Artists books history?
- Why is the Artists book different to regular books or photo-books?
- Why is the artist book so important?
- When is a book not as book?
- What can a book be? does it have to be or have
- An object?
- Covered? etc..
- Is the artist book a publication or collection? or both?
- Does it have to have a front and back cover to be a book?
- What content is usually in an artist book? and why?
Names and books and people of interest.
- Martin Parr.
- Sophie Calle.
- ivre d’artiste.
Websites of interest.
- Johanna Drucker “The Century of Artists’ Books”
- Blake Morrison on what happens when books turn into art.
- Smithsonian Libraries Artists’ Book
- Artist Book in Africa, Unique Version.
All Links above are on the subject of the artist book, all giving a knowledgeable description of the artists book in definition.
Although can it be defined to a specific thing or object? Is it a broad range of different imaginative publications, illustrated and created by those in the creative industry? and why is it so important to some? this is what I aim on finding out within my research.
So here I go in search of the magnificent and creative world of the Artist book.